REASONS TO CHOOSE SOY WAX OVER PARAFFIN WAX
If you haven’t had the chance to try burning soy wax instead of traditional paraffin, you could be missing out on a host of benefits for your nose, your wallet, and your health. In fact, burning soy wax in melt or candle form is a much better option than traditional paraffin for many reasons. Find out why below!
1. Soy Wax is Natural
Derived from the soybean, soy wax is a hydrogenated vegetable oil that turns to a solid at room temperature. Soy wax contains nothing artificial, which makes it a better alternative to old-fashioned paraffin wax, which is made from petroleum oil and produces harmful by-products when burned or melted. Soy wax is non-toxic making it better both for the environment and your health!
2. Soy Wax Delivers a Cleaner Burn
Unlike paraffin wax, which gives off black soot when burned, soy wax burns cleaner. Since paraffin wax is petroleum-based, burning it produces a black soot that can potentially stain curtains, walls, and carpets inside the home. As a vegetable-based wax, soy wax does not give off any harmful by-products that might cause damage.
3. Soy Wax Does Not Release Toxins Into the Air
Soy wax is a healthier alternative to paraffin wax in that it does not release dangerous carcinogens into the air when melted like paraffin wax does. Burning and/or melting paraffin releases at least 11 known toxins—two of which are carcinogens—into the air. Carcinogens are known to cause cancer in some people.
4. Soy Wax is Environmentally Friendly
Since soy wax is made from soybeans, it is friendly to the environment because soybeans are a renewable resource. Paraffin wax comes from petroleum, which is not a renewable resource. This is especially important if you are pregnant, have kids, or have pets, because it’s the safest option health-wise. You want to avoid wax blends or candles that don’t state the exact breakdown of ingredients.
5. Soy Wax has a Lower Melting Point
From a safety standpoint, soy wax is the better choice because it has a lower melting point than paraffin wax. This means less risk of burns should you accidentally spill any melted wax on your skin.
6. Soy Wax Scents are Stronger Because soy wax burns cleaner than paraffin wax, the scent from its essential oils is more pleasant and stronger-smelling than the chemical scents added to paraffin. It’s common to hear people complain of headaches when paraffin candles burn, but in general, this isn’t due to the scent of the wax but rather the toxins it releases into the air. Soy wax offers many benefits over paraffin wax—some of which most people don’t even realize.